Christmas


I should try harder I know, but Christmas is hard in New Zealand. Its summer for a start, but yet you are swamped with the 'traditional' images of Christmas - snow, Santa, elfs, trees, glittery stuff, more trees and more snow, snowflakes etc. It is so linked with the seasons, weather and nature that it makes no sense at all in the southern hemisphere. But that doesn't seem to stop folks. The traditional kiwi Christmas on the beach or at the bach is a great idea but still I struggle. There is less of a 'logical' reason to eats loads and loads of mince pies as we're not facing a cold winter (but that hasn't stopped me). Mince pies are a bit of a favourite of mine. I tried the whole pagan calendar and celebrate mid summer but think I may be the only one trying this, so feel a wee bit odd!! I did however, come down with a 'traditional' winter cold mainly I reckon because of all the snow images from UK and updates of cold, freezing, icy weather.


So with all this talk of tradition I realise that my Christmas tradition is to go to work. I'm not bitter and I often volunteer. Over the 15 years as a nurse how many have I worked I wonder? So really would be a bit of a loss to know what to do on Christmas day with no work. What hope do I have in retirement?





So Christmas day at work. We had a good day, it had been fairly busy in the run up, but we had a pleasant day, with a few admission, patients well enough to enjoy some time with their family and enough mince pies to bring a smile to my face. I have been 'Miss grumpy homesick pants' over the last few days and finally some of the joy of Christmas time got to me. Mainly thanks to the caring nursing souls I work with. I hope I haven't been too unbearable - normal service will be resumed soon I'm sure.









I miss my friends and family. I wanted my mum to make me a bacon sandwich and give me a hug, but a Skype call to her while we opened our presents after work seemed to help (though at this point the bubbly was also having the desired effect). I feel nostalgic about those Christmas times of my childhood and have to realise that's not what I have now and nor will I. Time to move on.


We returned home from work and while I made a rather delicious dinner of salmon and prawns, Adam watered the garden, all while we sipped Kir Royale. Opened all my presents, and wasn't Santa good to me. To those folks who post stuff, it is truly appreciated. I loved them all. To the gifts from work, which are so thoughtful. It's all good. I am blessed and loved and have a big smile on my face. So all is good and we have more fun ahead with a meal with friends on the 28th. Joy to the World.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails