Cherry on top

All this walking malarky needs fuelling. Well I'm not doing that much walking but cookies are always good. Especially these. On Adam's list of favourite cookies and a happy cookie for me. They bring back all this great childhood memories of good times spent at the bakery at Denton, and all the good times that have followed, thank you Julie. They are super easy to make, though to be honest while making these and watching the kitchen aid mixer doing the hard work I must confess you'd never get me making these, or a cake for that matter, by hand again. I don't feel too bad confessing this as I recently read pretty much that same line in a Nigel Slater book recently. I still get the recipe out and he we have more memories cos I never had the recipe so I had to ring my mum to get it, so it's a hand written, passed on kind of recipe. They are also the kind of baking that it's impossible not to lick your fingers while making them. This is a rule of my baking as I firmly believe you have to test the raw mixture to know that the finished item will be any good. To illustrate this point I once made muffins and forgot to put the sugar in - saved by testing the raw mixture, kind of they wee in the cases at this point and I hadn't been licking my fingers as they were a batch for work (hygiene first when baking for work, I don't want staff off sick now). S the birds enjoyed the sugar free ones and I made a new batch for work. I rest my case, the raw mixture needs testing.
My loving hand written while on the phone to my mum recipe lists half a glacé cherry on top. So that's what I've always done. You can buy half cherries, but I have two bags of cherries that I had in the cupboard for a biscotti recipe that I never got to over Christmas. I have many a time stood cutting glacé cherries in half for these cookies - I do so like to follow instructions, but today my years of wisdom took over. Do I have a glacé cherry shortage? No. So the whole cherry went on top.



The mixer doing the hard work



The flour goes in



Roll in oats!



Ready for the oven
(the wonder of silicone baking sheets is fairly new to me, why like the whole cherry did I not realise their value)



The production line if you like



A snack while I blog

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails