Camping Cancelled

We had an overnight camping trip arranged, but it was dashed when Adam realised that his WOF (Warrant of Fitness - NZs MOT). I was mad, and the funny thing was I found out when I was driving back from collecting my keys and coat I'd left at work, cos I'm a scatty forgetful thing. So there I was mad at Adam for forgetting the warrant! So now I've confessed to the double standards and the hissy fit I threw I can continue. He was sorrowful but still laughed at me having my hissy fit. So a day out had to be planned. Somewhere new, a scouting trip for summer camping adventures....we headed to our favourite place the Coromandel, but this time headed up the Kauaeranga Valley. 

There are several DOC campsites up this great track and we'll be back for sure. We checked out the model dam and then took the nature walk to Hoffmans Pool. My book says a great spot for swimming and a picnic. The water was freezing - twas sunny but still winter remember. I took my jeans off and paddled in, only to loose the feeling in my feet and have trouble walking. So picnic and stone gathering it was. A beautiful spot and we will return to swim when the water warms up.




We then headed to the nearby town of Thames for the daily coffee fix and then while both wanting to run away to Coromandel township, we headed south onto new roads. We found ourselves in the antique town of New Zealand - Paeroa - also famous for the L&P drink. We found the large bottle eventually. An odd town, but clearly the place to buy gum boots, as I've had no luck finding proper gum boots in Auckland (I ask you, how hard can it be to find a decent welly boot - especially in a country as wet as this one - but I digress).

From Paeroa, we drove along the rather lush Kauaeranga Gorge, another spot to come back to for the gorge walkway and the waterfalls, but for now we headed for Waihi beach and sunset looking at the Pacific Ocean, having a rather interesting conversation about which coast we would rather live on. Are you a sunset or sunrise person, surf and black sand or gentle sea and golden sand, it was all rather difficult to decide.

Van in the garage today, so hoping for camping at the weekend.

1 comment:

yumptatious said...

What a stunning place to just take off too! Your pics are very soothing to my tired eyes :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails