Walk 9 - Rangitoto

Seriously how bad can your day be when you get to walk up a volcano. Such a cool thing, it's fantastic. So easily accessible from Auckland and such a doable walk. Now boat trips, always a good thing for a day - and this from a woman who has been on a boat that sunk.
This was my third trip to Rangitoto, an island that erupted 600 years ago. The youngest volcano in the Huraki Gulf and the last and largest volcano to be formed in the Auckland volcanic field.
It is an icon of Auckland, I see the beautiful classic volcano each time I drive into work and you catch glimpses of it from all areas of Auckland. It is so cool.


As I said, my third trip and a different walk each time. The walk to the summit is great, and as it's a popular trip, particularly on a public holiday weekend, it can be a sociable event too. I may have mentioned my complete lack of exercise lately so I was expecting this to be tough, it was. I take my time, I get there. I enjoy the effort knowing the walk isn't long, the view is amazing and it's all downhill afterwards.
I was finding it tough so we took an abbreviated walk back to the wharf, then after an amazing lunch, sitting in the sun, looking out over the sparkling water (sorry this is winter) we explored a bit more, taking time to look at the historic bachs and play/learn more about my new camera.
I took loads of photos but also used the day to create a unique birthday card for the daughter of my rather dear friend - so a sneak peak of her card for you Sharon.

As always....clear signage

Loved this bench and was there for ages trying to capture what I wanted, didn't quite get there but this was the best.

Our traditional shot

Loved this picture of Adam but then a learnt a rather neat trick my camera does........

There's this handy display thingy that helps me get the photo straight, for a woman with a wonky eye, this is amazing

We were at the summit around midday so the view shots didn't come out great, but this one might give you an idea

Another shot I spent ages on, a few different ankles and loads of different light settings. 

My favourite picture of the day

Well apart from this one, a homage to YMCA and a happy birthday to Molly


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails