Ending Unplanned

I have now returned 'home' to New Zealand. So what is home, where is home. Is it friends and family, is it where I lay my hat (though I never look good in a hat). The trip to the UK has made me question this. I make my home wherever I am. I like making a home. Cosy stuff around me, bits and pieces, pictures, food, candles...the list goes on. Yes, New Zealand is home, forgive me if that makes me disloyal to my family and friends and the UK in general but there it is. The thing is who knows where home will be in 5, 10 or 20 years time. We don't know what will great us each day. I live each day and am thankful for all I have, can do and can enjoy during that day. I like to plan but I also appreaciate tragedy and sorrow can strike at any time. we have one life, we should grab each day. A bit cheesy I know but there you have it. What I'm saying is that I don't know how long I'll be in New Zealand or where my road will take me next.

But on with the story. It was great seeing people again, it was like I had only been away 2 weeks. Good friends and family are worth their weight in gold and I am very blessed.
My gorgeous brother was there with my mum at the airport to met me, not dressed as Darth Vader but the thought was there. Wonderful, and he had Duran Duran ready to play when we got in the car. I have one brother and he is perfect.



I had a day out with my Dad at Brogdale Farm. It was the start of some fabulous summery weather. I packed for Autumn - the wet windy grey type, but heh ho I got a tan instead. Our trip was followed by the first of many meals and trips to pubs. My dad has eating out and going to pubs down to a fine art and knows his stuff. However I have obviously become a complete lightweight and I think disappointed him in my inabilty to finish a meal or keep drinking! However, he did not disappoint and that night I got to see his band play. Charlie Boot and the Footsloggers - I think the title says it all. They are wonderful and I was sorry the jet lag forced me to leave before the end. I loved the CD I was sent and it was all the better for seeing them live.

The main purpose of the return was to attend two weddings. Both were special and I was so so glad I had made the trip. I would have hated not being there and being able to share the days with such great friends. Another bonus of these weddings was that I had the chance to see and chat to loads of folks. I felt very special, mentioned in speaches and everything.
There were too many special moments to write about them all, I have heaps of thank you letters to send. I was treated to food and drink, given lifts, had a special afternoon tea and experienced wonderful hospitality. The champagne in the hot tub takes a lot of beating but everywhere was great because I was so warmly welcomed.
It was a bit mental living out of a suitcase for three weeks, no more than three nights in one place before moving on to the next location. So yes, I was tired, forgive me for those times when I couldn't stay awake, couldn't really talk or came across as rude. It was hard going with little time alone.


England does some things very well, country pubs being high on the list. So the Queens Head at Icklesham got two visits, always one of my favourites and lovely that the weather was good enough to sit in the garden for lunch both times.



Of course the history cannot be ignored and I managed two historic sites, Leeds Castle, a warm and glorious day with my mum. Battle Abbey was and is one of my favourite places in the world, a entertaining walk round with Sharon and Molly. However my first trip was to Dover Castle with Jane, my godson Rowan and his little sister Marcy. They are 4 and nearly 3 and climbed all the way to the top of the keep. Most impressive.
Another voyage that was needed was to Flat White, a coffe shop in Soho recommended by coffee staff in NZ. You see, Kiwis love their coffee, and NZ coffee is very, very, very, good. I'm sorry folks, nothing came close. So the mission to find Flat White was essential and I was grateful for the company of Emma who also took me into the Tate Modern and complete a pie mission at Borough Market, all without a map (well almost).


There was cricket, pubs, Star Wars, cider, family, champagne, chocolate fountain, lemon cake, singing sons, gypsy tart, problems shared, walks on the beach, strong tea, Robot Chicken Wars, Salvation Army, photos, singing, laughing, crying are you suprised I felt tired all the time. It was full on all the time and I don't think there is any other way of doing it.
Kids are wonderful and there were plenty in the mix. Plus I managed to go to not one, but three primary school, got locked in the play ground at one and saw and assembly at another, not bad going eh?

To end this witter waffle and hope I haven't offened anyone my missing out something what struck me during my time back in the UK is that it isn't goodbye. I had a draining time saying goodbye to folks before I left 18 months ago, and here we are again. Yes I miss people, miss special  the like, but the internet has a lot to answer for and staying in touch and part of people lives is possible. It isn't goodbye, it's see you later.

Thank you to all who made my stay so memorable.

1 comment:

yumptatious said...

It was so fab seeing you, but I am so proud that you are really grabbing life by the balls and going for it. I'm also really chuffed that you feel NZ is home: you are certainly making it into a rather wonderful home, one that I would love to visit someday.
I'm also glad that you're open-minded to what lies ahead: I think it's the best way to be and one that should ensure you don't miss any wonderful opportunities.
And indeed hurrah for the internet! I'm sure we're in touch more now than we have been for years! Keep it up!
(((((hugs, cake + a comfy chair in which to snooze)))))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails