The Ride of the Rings

Bless him, that's all I can say. Number 7 has been on my mind for this trip as I thought that the stunning scenery around Paradise would be tempting and dsitracting. So we booked. I still ummed and errred - Queenstown seems to always knock me into in-activity. There is so much to do, so much exciting adrenaline rush stuff that I do nothing. I overcame and booked the ride. It had been rather wet so we went for the Ride of the Rings - plus this one is only at a walk and only one and half hours. It takes you right up into Paradise so the fact that you pass lots of places where filming took place is either an added bonus, or neither here, nor there depending on your point of view. I was worried though as Adam was calling horses 'beasts of Satan' on the drive up to Glenorchy.


So first off I must say that all the staff at Dart Stables are fantastic. Though on the day of our visit Rachel deserves a special mention. She knew her day wasn't going well with a pick up over half an late, then Adam asking about camel riding I don't hink helped much, but she could take the piss out of him without any fear. Then she had to face the rude man and the phone, then the late woman having a fag. It made our waiting to leave all very entertaining but I did feel for her, and felt the need to give her chocalate if I'd had any one me.


So off we go. I was so worried about Adam, but he seemed to be smiling at me. The rain held off for our ride and at times the sun came out. It was stunning, walking into the forests took my breath away, it was amazing, so beautiful. No, sorry crap at good descriptions, you'll have to trust me. Though of course if you're not into outdoor stuff, woods, trees and the like you'd have hated it, anyway I digress.


I did have moments of anxiety over my control freak thing, that occurs when I'm sitting on a horse, but I relaxed, feeling confident and assurred by our two guides, knowledgable with a sense of humour. They were both great. I rode Randel, apparently can be grumpy and likes to eat, so we got on perfectly. It was great, can I say that any more times.

Having your picture taken at a higlight spot was a surprise and a rather pleasant one at that.


Well the pace of the walk picked up and I guessed the horses knew we where on the home stretch, the wind started to pick up and just as we all dismounted the rain came. Blessed, that's what I am.


Well at this point I look at Adam, he smiles, a big, huge, happy smile. Then you could have knocked me over as he says 'I really enjoyed that', blimey hell and hurrah. He wants a horse now, of course. But at least I can plan some more riding trips.

Thank you Dart Stables. By the way we popped into your shop in Queenstown and there was a couple there deciding whether to do a trip - I think we did a pretty good job. Especially Adam, who I think Rachel offerred him a job anyway based on his sense of humour.

1 comment:

yumptatious said...

It sounds and looks wonderful! You both look surprisingly relaxed on your steeds. And hurrah for Adam! You can teach an old dog new tricks after all! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails