Lake Hayes

It may have been Thursday or maybe it was Friday - I think this is a sign of a good holiday - I've lost all track of days and dates. We found a great walk to kick the autumn leaves. My sorry, fat, lazy, couch potato arse really needs to do some exercise, so a walk it is to be. Now I don't want to send myself into a spiral of depressing suicide thoughts by taking on  anything too difficult (by this I mean uphill) so I choose the walk described by the very useful 'Discover Arrowtown" leaflet as a 'medium fitness'. I have to stretch beyond the easy really (plus I've done those ones). This is to be a 2 hour loop around Lake Hayes. 

Lake Hayes doesn't even make it onto some of the maps but it sits quietly between Queenstown and Arrowtown easily accessed just off highway 6. Plenty of parking.

Well not so sure about the medium fitness - I am clearly not at that level as I finished (just under 2 hours thank goodness) a red, sweaty bloated fingered soul. It was however a lovely lovely walk that I would encourage all those like minded souls to do. There was a bit of uphill but mainly flat, and stunning stunning views. An excellently maintained track circumnavigates the lake giving you various veiws of the surrounding mountains, including the always remarkable Remarkables. There are picture perfect scenes of houses nestled into the hills and trees. And the autumn colours, have I mentioned the autumn colours, not so much of the reds, it's more a light golden, with hints of rust, copper and bronze.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails