Walk 35 - Waitakere Dam Walk

I don't know why, but I do find a dam rather fascinating. It may be the dam buster in me!

In the long long weekend we did manage some walking. Not so much as you'd notice or that the clothes are any looser, but let's not think about that just now. I wanted a walk that wouldn't kill me or depress me. I know I'm out of shape - no - I am a shape, I'm just not very fit at the moment. We are (as I frequently mention I know) blessed, there are walks for all sorts at our fingertips. So off west it was. Here to be precise. A road down, then heaps of steps, then along the old railway track. Quick stop for tea and cookies, then an amazing 'oh my I'm having an Indiana Jones moment' end of the track. Actually not the end of the track - we could have continued along for several hours. No, the turn around point for us. The steps up killed me - in that good way - the way that you know you are doing yourself some good but the end is in sight. The road up was a long and winding road. I kept my head down and kept breathing. Hurrah. Out of breath, soaked up the scenery. I think about 6km. I know, but it's better than the couch. Oh and it was so nice to be out walking midweek. 


On the dam, it caught my eye, there were loads and it said 25 on all of them...what does it mean

The dam through the forest. Rather hard all this green.

There is really little need for a map on a walk like this, but it's a habit. I'm not apologising, I'm proud. I always have a map.

My autumn leave obsession.

The Indiana Jones moment

The bridges reminded me of our Otago Rail Trail adventure, but these were more slippy.

There is that dam again, less green this time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails