Camping Thoughts


Happy Camper, originally uploaded by KTandCoffee.
This trip into the South Island marks a first. The first time we have hired a campa van to travel around. In New Zealand this is common place and there are always loads of hired vans to be seen. The choice of campsites is an interesting question and time could be well spent discussing the qualities of those around. Campa van camping, is one type of camping and as listening to the rain belting down last night, while I was tucked up very snug and warm thank you, I reflected on my camping pedigree.

I have hoisted many a tent in back gardens of friends and family in Kent and Sussex. I have dragged my sorry soul around North Wales twice, lugging a wet, heavy, orange canvas vango tent for the DofE. I have slept under the stars in the Sahara desert and in Bedoin tents in the Sinai.
My trusty tent has been pitched numerous times (mainly in the wind and rain) in the Lake District and the New Forest. I have shared friends tents in these very places as well. I took my poor mother to Cornwall, in March, to stay in my tent. We have taken the tent to France and enjoyed the sun in the Loire valley and the Dordonge.
This same tent came to New Zealand enjoyed a stay in the Bay of Islands where the poles broke in the wind. A new tent has seen us travel to the Coromandel a few times for some very Happy Camping. Plus a tent trip in Northland with some friends.
I just survived Glastonbury despite killer hayfever. Hayfever got me again when staying in a Tipi in Raglan - a move to a disused railway carriage helped heaps.
The VW van has taken us to the New Forest and the Lake District and has now sampled the delights of the Coromandel, Napier and Leigh in New Zealand.
We've bunked on two great walks in New Zealand - the Routeburn and the Abel Tasman. I've bunked up Mt Kinabalu in Borneo and just survived to tell the tale.

There are many types of camping, campsites and fun to be had at them all. Do what you enjoy, this is to be fun. This trip is a holiday. In the South Island. In New Zealand. Where it may rain everyday. It may snow. The sun may beat down and warm the soles of our feet as we lay by the lakes. But I want to be able to have a hot shower and know there are toilets close by and if the gas runs out in the van, well a kitchen so I can make a cup of tea would be just great. This one isn't a survival course or test. I am here to soak up the mountains and the autumn colours and I will give my full thoughts on the campsites I come across because I can.

1 comment:

yumptatious said...

Good grief! i think you've sampled every type of camping going! I might as well throw out all of my camping books and just ask you in future. Looking forward to reading about all the different sites: you should write a book!
Loved loved loved this post :-)
(hope you're both having a delicious time x)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails