Walk 15 - Whitsunday Peak

I wasn't expecting a walk on a sailing trip and I wasn't too excited about this one. I needed rest and warmth rather than a struggle uphill. I'm not in good physical shape and yes I do want to do something about that but I felt I needed a bit more R&R at this point. Off we went though. The kind Australian advice on the sign/map told us we needed to be fit, oh great I thought. Still, onward. It was a mental struggle more than anything, the two delightful ladies on the sailing trip were great, but I must have slowed them down considerably. I kept trying to get them to go ahead, no, no this pace is fine they tell me. Surely not. I was so red it was kind of funny. Eventually I get them to lead but off course I slow down even more and you know what happened then, they waited and made sure I was OK. Lovely lovely ladies. I was quietly dealing with my issues internally. One step at a time, mind over matter and all that jazz. Truth is I do enjoy it but walking uphill really kills me and I wasn't ready for this one so it was a bit of an effort. Despite one false calling on the summit we made it in good time and yes, as always, it was worth it. Seriously worth it, the view was amazing. I did take it in for a few seconds before having to sit down, shaking legs and a bit dizzy. That was OK but trying to stand back up the dizziness took on a new level but a few breaths and I'm back. Oh yes, drink more water, that helped. My shoulder/arm/neck had given me some gip on the way up but that view eased those pains and re-envigoured the spirit. Re-reading my journal entry I made that night, that view must have really been something as I commented on wanting to die or alternatively just stopping right where I was a certain times on the way up and just giving up. I tripped up a lot and just moving my legs one step at a time required concentration. So the smiley thumbs up photo below is a real wonder. There was some hope though. I lead off for the downward journey, now this as you may (or not) know can be equally at dodgy and hard work but I set off at a good pace and trundled down without any problems. Nope, knees, hips, shoulder all good. Miraculous maybe but I really enjoyed the walk down, we laughed at not remembering anything from our walk up - apart from the mushrooms. We met a few folks on on the way up and gave kindly, encouraging words. But what really did it was walking onto Sawmill Beach, Lance was there waiting to pick us up and we just walked into the sea and swam. It wasn't quite as spontaneous as that as we did make sure that our pockets were empty, but kind of. No fuss or fancy, just cooling off in the clear blue waters around Whitsunday Island. I live to walk another day.















No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails