Walk 19 - Raglan

On a determined mission to complete the 41 walks challenge here. Procrastination and last minuteness play a big part in my personality for sure. This was Saturday Surprise. Adam chose 'out of Auckland' and I drove. He guessed around the time we hit Huntly that we were heading to Raglan. We haven't been there for a while and 2 hours of southerly driving had us pulling over by the wharf. Lunch first of course, then some shopping, a lot more shops than I remember from the last time. Lots of kiwi made and arty stuff so all rather cool, particularly in the torrential rain that was pouring. It had been a sunny drive down but now felt rather damp and a little chilly. Having eaten and shopped we headed to the beach. I recall feeling surprised (though not sure why) at the hills around Raglan, this time they delighted me, everywhere was so green and lush (lots and lots of rain remember). I also recall the sand on the beach being so so hot I could hardly walk on it, I figured that would not be the case this time. The tide was well in, why did this surprise me I do not know, memories I guess of the huge beach we lazed on in the summer of our last visit here. We walked, we walked past the lone surfer, past the surf school, we joined a lot of other walkers and their friendly dogs. It is a long expanse of west coast beach but where Muriwai stretches on and on into the forever this beach has land curving around, deceptive and inviting I guess. We turned to walk back and while acknowledging that the rain was heading this way again we couldn't help but delay in taking photos of the sea/cloud/sky combination that was unfurling before us. We got wet, we were dressed appropriately and enjoyed the downpour and the rainbow it produced. Sitting back in the car tucking into lemon cake and watching the light over the sea from an elevated viewpoint Saturday Surprise was heading to a close. Adam took the wheel and we drove back through the green hills heading to the highway to Auckland.

Near the wharf

To the beach















No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails